Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I hate digital cameras

Yes, I really do.

I've been wondering lately who the wacko was that invented the darn things. I must ring him up and mention my pain and agony with his product. Obviously, he (I am sure it's a he) is laughing all the way to the bank as he has fully transformed an entire industry by making film cameras obsolete and pushing his invention to take its place. Oh, yeah, he is living large in a palace by the sea eating bon bons while the rest of us suffer.

Here's why I hate digital cameras. I am a right-brained creative type. I have no patience for technical stuff. No memory for learning the processes that have anything to do with computers. For heaven's sake, it's taken me three months of blogging to figure out how to do a link on a word and it was right in front of my eyes every time I logged on! Any type of thing where I need to have a system of organization is lost on me. I am visual. If I have seen it, I remember where it is if it is on my desk. It doesn't have a special name or a special folder, it has a location that is over on the right upper side of the desk or the left under that.

Herein lies the issue at hand. Digital photography was not made for right-brained creative types. Sure, we can take some amazing photos (and I do--really). Okay, let's be honest, we take thousands of amazing photos. In the olden days when there were no iphones or ipods or itunes, I would pull the cute little cartridge of film out of my camera after I had taken 24 pictures. I would take it to my local Target or put it in the mail and send to a place like Snapfish. I would know that in an hour or a day, my lovely photos would be printed and waiting for me. I could take them home, pour over them, slap them into my photo box for future scrapping and be so happy. No, they weren't always perfect and I missed some shots that I thought would be perfect, but there was only 24.

Did I mention that we take thousands of photos?

The number 24 is never spoken in these parts now unless Dan wants to watch the show and kicks me off of the good TV.

Now I have to do all the work. I only remember to upload when I turn the camera on and it is almost full. Of course, I am always somewhere very important and more pics need to be taken so I swap out for another memory card...which is almost full. When I return home, there is the choice of watching American Idol or uploading photos.

Hmmm...did I mention how great AI is? Should I do a link?! Okay, no.

Once I force myself in front of the computer, go to my photos, I start to scream. My filing system is not the way I want it and I can't find that particular picture that I took when Zach was 9 years old on vacation because everything is in weird files. I need to upload to Costo for prints, I need to burn CDs from my hard drive (yes, I do have two), I need to photoshop some pictures, I need to rename files...did I mention that I haven't uploaded the memory cards since after Christmas? Yeah. That, too.

I am so far behind that I do not want to sit down and begin work because it overwhelms me. Heck, I could care less about scrapbooking all of them--I am not one of those women--but I just crave a bit of organization in my photo life. Detail work is not my forte and makes me insane. And no, I do not have a Mac and I am sure that is the answer to all my problems. I have the books--Photo Freedom and have read Ali's blog and Cathy's blog and I know how others do it. But I cannot get these systems to work for me.

So that is why I hate digital cameras. Sure I feel like a professional with the amazing pictures I have. But I hate the rest of the work that comes along with that. No pain, no gain? Self-discipline? Do I have to?

It all makes me very grumpy.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I dump all my photos ASAP, usually the day I take them, so that I don't have so many to deal with at a time (and so that I don't lose any to a lost/broken camera or accidental deletion).

You need someone ELSE to help you do the work of organizing what you already have, but you should also start NOW with whatever new photos you take with a real system of organization (HA!--I know you, this will not happen). Find an organized friend you can bribe with coffee or dessert and have her sleep over at your place while Dan's gone and lock her in a room with your computer.

Jill Eileen Smith said...

LOLOL! Twila - I just read your two latest blog posts. You are a wonderful writer! I laughed out loud several times - I love people who can write humor well. You've got me hooked! Now, of course, you have to keep it up! ;-)

Btw, I hate having to upload photos from a digital camera as well. Worse, I hate it when I have uploaded some and we didn't delete them from the memory card for fear of the computer crashing so I need to upload them on two different computers...but then I still forget to delete from the memory card, so when I upload again, I get duplicates or have to scroll through 500+ pictures to find what I want! (So I feel your pain.) :)

From one right-brained writer to another! :)

Happy Mother's Day! :)
~Jill

Ron said...

Hi

I read your question regarding the best way to make photo greeting cards. I discovered a terrific online greeting card company that will allow you to create your own cards with photos, your own hand-writing font, and personal messages. After you create your one-of-a-kind card, simply press "Send" and this company will print the card, stuff it into an envelope, stamp it and mail it the next day for less than what it costs at Hallmarks. I love this method because it's so easy to do and I don't use my own printer/ink.
Get a free sample at http://www.GreetingCardDelivery.Com